The purpose of this fire association, is to be devoted to the protection of life and property against fire, flood, drowning, or disaster of any kind. It shall also promote community welfare with the idea of carrying on cultural, social, and recreational functions in the said “Third District Fire District of Bristol Township, Pennsylvania”
The Third District Volunteer Fire Company is an all volunteer organization that provides fire protection to the residents of Bristol Township, Pennsylvania and surrounding communities. Founded in 1955, the company operates an engine, a tower ladder and a field truck.
- 1956 the first pumper was Unit 141 a 1956 International with a Hale pump and a Bruco body purchased through Security Fire Equipment of Trenton, NJ.
- A 12 foot boat and trailer was purchased from the Croydon Fire Company for $1.00
- Unit 142 was purchased, an open cab Chevrolet from William Penn Fire Company in March 1957. Later in 1963 a 1952 Chevy 1300 gallon tanker was purchased, Until 147
- In 1965 Unit 143 a 1,000 gallon Ford chassied tanker was purchased.
- In February, an International pumper was purchased form Security Fire Equipment of Trenton NJ. This unit, designated as 142 replaced the aging open cab Chevrolet purchased years back from William Penn Fire Company.
- In October of 1972 the fire company purchased a 75 ft Mack-Baker Aerialscope
- A Mack pumper was purchased and placed in service May 26, 1975 was added to the fleet as Unit 143, and later sold in 1990 to Lavergne Tennessee. A 1976 Dodge Power Wagon 4 x 4 truck with a 300 GPM high pressure pump was purchased designated as Unit 144
- In 1979 a 2 stage 1000 GPM Pierce pumper with a Henderson body was placed in service.
- June 1990, a 1990 E One Hush Pumper 1500 GPM single stage pump at a cost of $198,921. Unique to the fire service, this was a rear engine pumper.
- October 1997 purchase of a 1997 Simon Duplex/ LTI 75′ Ladder Tower through Horrocks Fire of Skippacl Pa. The truck was designed to be the new mid mount ladder tower that LTI would showcase. However, the fire company wanted the truck, so an agreement was reached that LTI would use the truck for some fire expo shows and the fire company would take final delivery sometime after September.
- In 2002 the fire company acquired a decommissioned 1969 M35 2 1/2 ton cargo truck aka a Duece and a half. Under the direction of Chief Dave Burns, then Deputy Chief Howard McGoldrick headed the plan of designing and outfitting the vehicle for off road firefighting. The truck is equipped with a custom made 1,030 gallon tank, a gas powered 200 GPM pump, 2 motorized booster reels, along with 300 feet of forestry hose on each reel, along with numerous rakes, shovels, and tools. Some provided through a cooperative agreement with the state’s DCNR department. It has so far served very well, not only for our local but surrounding communities as well.
- In 2004 the company purchased a 2004 Ford F350 pick-up truck for crew transport and QRS duties.
- In 2005 the Haz-Mat team for Bucks County Emergency Management Department assigned a 7 x 14 ft utility trailer to Station 14 in their plan to have a decon trailer in the first due locals of all the hopsitals throughout Bucks County.
- In June 2006 the fire company purchased a 1973 Mack Baker Aerialscope to serve while the LTI forego’s extensive repairs from a manufacturer defect.
- July 2007 the fire company purchased a 2007 Seagrave Marauder II 2000 GPM pumper. Purchased from EPI out of Thorofare NJ. The fire company went with a design change for the future. Instead of the traditional white over red, the committee received approval of the membership to change to a Chicago style black over red design. The truck was designed to have LDH intakes front, side and rear. Innovative ideas went into the design of this truck in the area of operator / rider safety. A digital speedometer in the officers viewing area, a forward camera system with a DVR hard drive, a back up camera, all the discharges were designed to be on the officers side of the pumper and the pump panel on the driver’s side, so the pump operator would be protected against the chance a line burst or a line coming off its connection. A deadmans switch in the officer’s area that controlled the parking brake. A NYC bus style mirror mounted to see the front bumper of the truck. December 2014 the fire company placed in service a 2014 Seagrave 75 ft Aerialscope with the Marauder II cab, purchased through Emergency Equipment Sales & Service in Trenton, NJ. As with the engine, safety was a major concern and the same options and more were added to this apparatus. A lot of pride went into the design and setting up this apparatus. The fire company added 2 custom painted murals to the ladder main. Designed by James Burnett a FF with Station 52 and former member, and painted by famed artist Franny Drummond, of PaintZoo the artist of many NHL goalie masks.
- December 2014 the fire company placed in service a 2014 Seagrave 75 ft Aerialscope with the Marauder II cab, purchased through Emergency Equipment Sales & Service in Trenton, NJ. As with the engine, safety was a major concern and the same options and more were added to this apparatus. A lot of pride went into the design and setting up this apparatus. The fire company added 2 custom painted murals to the ladder main. Designed by James Burnett a FF with Station 52 and former member, and painted by famed artist Franny Drummond, of PaintZoo the artist of many NHL goalie masks.
As written in “The History of Bucks County, Pa Fire Service”